Monday, November 06, 2006

Should we forgive Ted Haggard?

So should we forgive Haggard or not? First things first... let's hear from the Pastor who was removed for accusations that he was involved in an illicit affair with a gay prostitute. Here is a portion of Haggard's apology that was read this past Sunday at his church...
I asked that this note be read to you this morning so I could clarify my heart's condition to you. The last four days have been so difficult for me, my family and all of you, and I have further confused the situation with some of the things I've said during interviews with reporters who would catch me coming or going from my home. But I alone am responsible for the confusion caused by my inconsistent statements. The fact is, I am guilty of sexual immorality, and I take responsibility for the entire problem.

I am a deceiver and a liar. There is a part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I’ve been warring against it all of my adult life. For extended periods of time, I would enjoy victory and rejoice in freedom. Then, from time to time, the dirt that I thought was gone would resurface, and I would find myself thinking thoughts and experiencing desires that were contrary to everything I believe and teach.

Through the years, I’ve sought assistance in a variety of ways, with none of them proving to be effective in me. Then, because of pride, I began deceiving those I love the most because I didn’t want to hurt or disappoint them. The public person I was wasn’t a lie; it was just incomplete. When I stopped communicating about my problems, the darkness increased and finally dominated me. As a result, I did things that were contrary to everything I believe. The accusations that have been leveled against me are not all true, but enough of them are true that I have been appropriately and lovingly removed from ministry. Our church's overseers have required me to submit to the oversight of Dr. James Dobson, Pastor Jack Hayford, and Pastor Tommy Barnett. Those men will perform a thorough analysis of my mental, spiritual, emotional, and physical life. They will guide me through a program with the goal of healing and restoration for my life, my marriage, and my family.
I created this entire situation. The things that I did opened the door for additional allegations. But I am responsible; I alone need to be disciplined and corrected. An example must be set.

I will admit it. I caught a sound-bite about Haggard's apology and was extremely skeptical. After all, Haggard may have given some of the most pathetic and embarassing series of interviews over the last several days that I can recall in some time. First Haggard said he bought the drugs, but didn't use them. Then he used the drugs and received a massage but had never had a gay relationship. It was very sad to watch. So I was prepared to say that Haggard can't just suddenly turn around and ask for forgiveness less than 24 hours after making ridiculous denials. Then again, God's grace is like that. Dirty sinners caught red-handed get declared "innocent" in God's eyes. Even when they are preachers rallying against gays that get outed for frequenting a gay prostitute. Of course the true test of the sincerity of Haggard's apology will be determined by what happens next. Will Haggard repent from his hypocrisy and put his life, and family, back together? I don't know. It will take a miracle. A miracle of grace.

No comments: